Welcome

A history of the Mosley (Moseley) and Miles families in Mississippi

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Welcome to the first installment of the Mosley/Miles family history - the introduction

Well, first of all, let me start by saying that I am neither a writer nor a geneologist. However, like many others, I am interested in where I came from and what kind of characters, thiefs, varmits, hermits, or otherwise savory individuals make up my ancestory. My interest was peaked when the TV show "Who Do You Think You Are" premiered. This led me to subscribe to Ancestory.com where a rich and colorful past began to open up to me. I have not filled in all the blanks yet but I have collected a wealth of information. The problem becomes how to assemble all of this into something that can be accessed and understood by anyone with interest in these two families. Therefore, I decided to try a blog whereby I can update it at a leisurely pace each week and hopefully provide some interesting reading material.

Some of the Miles family traces back to the 1400's and I have found evidence of the Mosley's almost as far. It should be noted that the Mosley family name was spelled Moseley until my Great Granfather Thomas J. Mosley decided to change the spelling to Mosley. In the Mosley family I have found confederate soldiers, and farmers as well as other assorted trades. The Miles family seems to have a more richer history. I can trace some of Grandma Nellie Mile's relatives to a very historic event. The Miles family also has confederate soldiers as well as soldiers from the War of 1812 and the Revolutionary War. The Mosley's migrated from South Carolina, to Alabama to Mississippi. So.....if you are interested, hang on......there is much to tell in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment